Pages

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Yummy Low(er)-Carb Dinner




I love chicken chunks. Love them a lot. And my hubby really loves chicken nuggets and fried chicken too. So earlier this week I experimented. I used my Bob's Red Mill baking mix as a breading for chicken and it was delicious!!

Ingredients
2c Bob's Red Mill Low-Carb Baking Mix
1/2c panko bread crumbs
2chicken breasts, cut into 1" chunks
2t onion powder
2t garlic powder
1t chipotle powder
1t curry powder
1egg
1/4c cream
1/2c water
Directions
  1. whisk together egg, water and cream in one bowl

  2. in another bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients for dredging

  3. heat about 3 inches of oil to 350 degrees in dutch oven (I used a candy thermometer to keep temp constant)

  4. soak some chicken in the egg mixture, then dredge in breading mixture and fry a few at a time. Transfer to newspaper to drain excess oil off.

  5. Chicken pieces are done when they are nice and golden brown on the outside, just 3-4 minutes is all it takes.

Read more: http://caloriecount.about.com/fried-chicken-chunks-recipe-r319849#ixzz0dodB1LwJ



These were very yummy! I will definitely be making them again. I served them with butternut squash french fries baked in the oven. Delicious! The chunks run about 10 carbs/serving (approximately) and I don't think Hubby even realized they were low-carb. The baking mix gave the breading a really great texture because not only does it contain different flours, but also oat bran and flax seed meal. (BRM mix contains: Vital Wheat Gluten, Whole Grain Oat Flour, Oat Bran, Oat Fiber, Flaxseed Meal, Whole Grain Rye Flour, Wheat Bran, Whole Grain Soy Flour, Sea Salt, Evaporated Cane Juice)






1 comment:

  1. Don't you LOVE chipotle powder? I use it a lot in my cooking too and think it's fantastic.

    ReplyDelete