Pages

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Adventures With Food Preservation

So this weekend Kira and I were worker bees. Saturday would blanched and froze 5 dozen ears of corn, made 3 gallons of chicken stock and made jam out of 6 quarts of strawberries and 2 pints of blueberries.


5 dozen ears of corn, fresh from the farm stand Saturday morning.

shucking away!


corn mountain!


Cutting it off the cob to freeze.

The weatherman told us it was going to be in the low 90's with 95% humidity and above. Luckily it was rainy and overcast all day and maybe hit 85 later on, maybe. We definitely struck gold that day!


6 quarts of strawberries destined to be jam!

Lots of freezer jam cooling in the fridge!

Chicken Stock!!

And, we finally found a source for some inexpensive 55-gallon food-grade barrels. Rain barrels, here we come! If they would've been set up Saturday, I'm sure I'd have all three of mine full already :)

The pumpkin plants still seem to be alive for the moment, and it appears as if my efforts have done some damage to the powdery mildew. I think it's gone now, I think. After hacking away, I sprayed with a baking soda, water and dish soap solution that is supposed to kill it and keep it away. So far so good.















On a very positive note, I would like to report that Hubby is now back to work! Today is his second day on the job with Molten Metal Products, working as a contractor in a local steel mill. And it's only 13 minutes away!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad hubbydo is back to work! :) Where did you find your rain barrels?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guy on craigslist, selling barrels and all kinds of stuff downtown. $10 a barrel. I need to make them into rain barrels, but I have a barrel!! He's also got raised garden bed things that are hinged and just pop open, $7. Wooden crates for compost too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What size freezer do you have Ang? I'm thinking you have a seperate one from your regular fridge/freezer and we've been thinking about getting one, but don't know what size or if we want an upright/chest one. I've been haunting craigslist for one, but probably won't get one until after the wedding. Let me know your opinion/experience when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meg-
    We have the freezer in our frig and a small chest freezer in the basement. And it's usually pretty full. I think if we got the next size up, it would be too big though. I would recommend a chest freezer b/c it's a lot more efficient as the cold stays down in the freezer for the most part when it's open. It will also stay frozen a lot better if the power goes out. It can be a bit of a pain to dig around in once in a while, but I think it's worth it.

    We got ours at Sams Club for about $150. I love it!

    ReplyDelete