So far, if I had to give myself a grade, it would probably be D-. Worst grade I have ever gotten! I have to admit, it's been a little more intense at the beginning than I anticipated. My main hang-ups so far are my husband, the low-carb thing and our budget! We are really trying to work on our mountain of debt and get it paid off so we are in a better position all around for the future. And right now, getting rid of food that is already in my pantry is really hard to do! I am working on my own version of using them up and not replacing unless it's been in the pantry a while and not used.
Day #1 Check List:
For today's assignment make sure to clear your cupboards of the following processed foods as well as anything containing these ingredients:
- Vegetable Oils: Soybean, Cottonseed, Canola, Corn
- Sugar: White Sugar, Brown Sugar, Turbinado, Agave Nectar (including "raw"), Sugar in the raw
- Stevia: white stevia powder, stevia liquid
- Shortening (excluding palm shortening)
- White flour: all-purpose flour, unbleached all-purpose flour, white rice flour,
- Soy foods: soy sauce, soy flour, soy milk, soy lecithin, isoflavone-enriched foods and supplements
- Dried Pastas and Noodles
- Iodized Salt
- Refined Sea Salt
- Meat & Dairy Replacements: TVP, veggie burgers, vegan cheeses, sour creams, rice and nut milks, vegan sausages
- Processed cheeses
- Skim and Low-fat Dairy: cheese, milk, yogurts etc.
- Boxed cereals, crackers and cookies
As for the low-carb part, it's the stevia and artificial sugar that I'm hung up on. I have green leaf stevia I can use, but I also have a large quantity of splenda and a box of stevia packets that I completely rely on for condiments and sweets! I just don't think I could handle green-colored vanilla ice cream!
And my husband, well, dry noodles and processed cheeses will be a hard sell!
I will try to keep updating for days 2-3 later tonight :)