So after a not-so-good first day, the others haven't been much better, I hate to say.
Day 2: Choose Wholesome Foods.
- natural sweeteners - I'm halfway there. If I use actual sweeteners, I do use natural ones, like honey and molasses. I've also got about two pounds of organic cane sugar to go through.
- wholesome fats - I am good here! I still have a jug of canola oil I'm using to fry, but once it's gone, I won't be replacing it. But other than that, I use butter, coconut oil, olive oil and bacon grease/lard.
- whole meal flours - I'm pretty good here too. Once again, I'm using up the whole wheat and bread flour that I have and hope to move to milling my own and sprouting grains.
- unrefined sea salt - check!
- meat (grass fed, organic) - check! Though I need some work on the organic pastured part.
- fresh fruit & veg - check!
- full fat dairy - check!
- naturally fermented foods - I'm going to be starting my water kefir this weekend. I WILL do it!
Day 3: Improve your grains.
- White flour is bad, very, very bad - check!
- Whole wheat flour isn't much better. I loses a lot of it's goodness and contains phytic acid which prevents digestion. - I'm working on it. I'm using up what I have, and then I'll get better, I promise! I just can't throw away a 2 5 gallon buckets of flour (I have one wheat and one bread). But I will start soaking my dough to help.
- Start sourdough, soaking grains and sprouted flour. - on my list for the future.
Day 4: Start Sourdough
- I missed that one...oops! I'll get on that hopefully in the morning.
Day 5: Sprouting grains
- Activates enzymes
- increases vitamin content
- neutralizes anti-nutrients.
- I haven't yet, but I'll explain why in the next day's info
Day 6: Mill Your Own
- I have neither a dehydrator or a grain mill, so I will be waiting to do this until I can get these things :)
Day 7: Relax and evaluate
- Check! I don't think I did a very good job, but I'm working on it, and that's what this is all about for me. Learning!
So I have a lot to work on, but I am learning a lot. You can view all of the info on the archives at the Nourished Kitchen.