Pages

Friday, January 23, 2009

Menu Deviations

Last night I decided to warm up some soup I had in the freezer rather than make tortellini. I just didn't feel like tomato sauce, which never happens. And dinner tonight is going to be white chicken chili instead of pot roast. I didn't get a lot of prep pictures of me putting it in the crockpot, but will at least get a finished one tonight, I promise.

Here's the recipe for the soup, it's very good! My husband even loved it!

Smoked Sausage Soup (serves 8)
Ingredients
1/2 lb smoked sausage
1 onion, diced
1 celery stalk, diced (or celery seed)
3 carrots, copped
2 garlic cloves, diced
32 oz. chicken broth
1 can diced tomato
1/2 cup dry barley (or rice or grain of choice)
1 bag baby spinach
Directions
  1. Cut sausage into bite-sized pieces and brown in skillet.
  2. Add onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Saute about 5 minutes.
  3. Add broth tomatoes and grain, bring to a boil.
  4. Reduce heat and simmer, covered 15-20 minutes.
  5. Salt and Pepper to taste.
  6. Remove from heat and add Spinach, stirring until it wilts.
  7. *I added extra water to this and it turned out great. The chicken broth just didn't seem like enough liquid to me when it all got in the pot.
  8. *This also freezes very well!
This time around I didn't get the spinach in, we didn't have any, but I did manage a tablespoon of Spirulina :) I also added a couple of diced potatoes for more a more filling taste. That's important in our house. It's a really good way to get the yummy taste of smoked sausage without my Hubby feeling like he needs to eat a whole pound of the stuff. Enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. Ooohhh, that's a great soup. I make one similar with kale instead of the spinach. (And with two whole links of smoked sausage... sounds like our husbands would love eating together...) Tasty stuff.

    ReplyDelete