Pages

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Oven-fried Chicken

Last night was oven-fried chicken, mashed potatoes and roasted asparagus at our place.


I prepped the chicken, went up and workout out on the elliptical, then came back down and prepped the asparagus. Trimmed and halved in a pan with a little olive oil and seasoning. I got this for Christmas from my mom I think and it makes amazing asparagus.


When I flipped the chicken, I just put the asparagus in for the last 15 minutes (okay 20, I always cook the chicken just a little longer to make it crispier!


Meanwhile I started the potatoes. This ended up being a mix of Idaho and baby reds. A little milk, a little butter, a clove of garlic thrown in with the potatoes, a little sour cream and stir. Yum.


I ended up adding a little parm to the asparagus when it was done, and it was very good. But I have a confession to make. The asparagus in January I enjoyed came to my kitchen all the way from Peru. When I realized that, I felt horrible. I know the potatoes were at least from Ohio, and so was the chicken, but PERU? I have a feeling this will be the last asparagus until summer for us. Luckily, it was delicious.


This is an awesome recipe from an Amish cookbook. This never goes to waste. I usually don't use 6 full chicken breasts (the pic shows a half breast), and honestly I never measure the ingredients. It's never bad.

Ingredients
6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 c flour
1 T paprika
1 t garlic powder
1/2 t salt
1/2 t fresh ground pepper
1 t marjoran (optional)
1/3 c canola oil
1/3 c butter
Directions
  • Put butter and oil in an 9 x 13 baking dish (glass is best) and put in preheating oven set to 375F.
  • Mix flour and spices in a shallow bowl or paper bag.
  • Once the butter is melted, remove pan from oven.
  • Coat chicken breasts with oil mixture, then coat with flour mixture. Place back in pan. Sometimes I cut the breasts in half for more even cooking if they are large.
  • Bake for 45 minutes, flip, and bake for 15 more minutes.
  • The original recipe calls for bone-in, skin on, but I don't use those. If you do, place them skin-side down from the start and then flip to skinless side.
  • These are good fresh from the oven, reheated or even cold!

No comments:

Post a Comment