Pages

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Adventures in flooding

Just to start, I want to say how lucky I am. My house is essentially on the top of a hill, or as much of a hill as we have in Swanton, OH, and this morning my yard was almost dry. My sidewalk was dry enough that I took old bread out to the birds in my slippers. My basement is a little damp with a small trickle going to the drain, but that's about it. And I'm very thankful. The park down the street, at the bottom of our little hill, is a lake. The baseball diamond is flooded completely. And this isn't the first time it's happened. The golf course in town is completely under water.

We here in NW Ohio have had almost 6 inches of rain in the last 3-4 days. Paired with all the water left from things thawing, we're completely flooded. It's days like today when you can really tell that this land used to be a swamp. It still wants to be a swamp, and it would be if we'd let it.

The baseball diamond, you can see the dugouts half submerged.

The golf course. There's a green just on the other side of those front trees.

More of the golf course, from the other side.

This is not a ditch. This is someone's yard.
Almost every yard off of the main roads on my way to work have spots like this.

Sorry for the blurry photos, but I took them while I was driving and didn't really "look" at what I was taking. I'm just glad I haven't put any dirt out in my garden area yet, it would just be a muddy mess! It's stopped raining today, but got really cold with 40 mph winds all day. Woohoo!

2 comments:

  1. That 6" of rain would have been 5 FEET of snow! Thank goodness for those few extra degrees! :P I can't handle that much snow. *gag*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree. A month or two ago I would've been okay with snow, but not now. I just wish it was stay a little bit warmer. 40 would be nice :)

    ReplyDelete