Thursday, April 2, 2009

Adventures with Ivy

I managed to get quite a bit done last night. I only worked until about 8:30 outside, but made enough progress to feel okay about it.


Lots of ivy moved to the compost area! Unfortunately, there's also a lot of dirt in my eyes and lungs right now. My allergies are going nuts.


I managed to clear one bed out (a bed I didn't know existed) plus a little more. I still don't know if I want to clear off the fence or not.


The dirt below is in pretty good shape. It's had leaves composted into it every year for the past few years. However, there's a lot of rock and debris that needs to be cleaned out before I can plant anything. I'm hoping this first bed will be enough room for what I want to do this year.


And here's the soil sifter. You can't really see it, but here it is! Just four sides and the screen. It's sitting by some larger rocks I pulled out from under the ivy.


This is a pic of the mass of ivy that is draped over one of the fence posts. You can see it looped around itself!


More ivy. Every year we have to cut it back so we can use this walkway behind the waterfall.


A tulip coming up in a bed of stones. This is what all of the flower beds looked like when we bought the house. I am slowly working on clearing out the stones from every bed. It is VERY slow going. Last year I spent all day working on this and cleared about 6 feet of the bed. It's nuts.


More flowers coming up! I didn't realize there all of this was in this area. I'm thinking I'm going to have to move something. The strawberries will take it all over!

No comments:

Post a Comment