Thursday, April 9, 2009

Garden (almost) Complete!

Tonight I managed to get one box ready for planting!

The dirt in this area is terrible. Almost as much gravel as their is dirt.

So I used my wonderful soil sifter to get rid of some of it, but I didn't get all of it. I'm worried there will be a very high level of lime in the soil, as most of the gravel appears to be limestone. I will have to test the ph before I plant anything.

Also buried in the dirt were a lot of these. Actual bricks and pieces of brick. This place was just a junk dump with a few bushes planted in it.

And here is a finished square, yeah! I dug down a few inches below the wood and then put the garden fabric down and added the soil mix on top. Hopefully this will keep the ivy out in the future.

I also got the raspberry and blueberry bushes planted. I think I'm going to get some more pots and put some tomato plants and potatoes in the pots.

This is the area where the building used to be and where I think we will put the pots. Those four round stones were found buried under ivy. My sister named them all. One is a boy.

This is the second bed we uncovered. At the end, by the little fence piece there used to be a mound. Hubby found and old blue tarp with a bunch of sand in it under the mound. More garbage!

This is the tarp that we found, along with a bunch of bricks that were buried. This hitch, thing was also buried under ivy. It was bungy-corded to the fence behind it and almost completely covered with ivy. Anyone know what it is? I appears to fit on a truck hitch, but I don't know what it would be used for...

And last but not least, more of the rock that was uncovered. Woohoo. More updates soon, I promise :)

4 comments:

  1. It's looking really good! I like the soil sifter - I don't need one right now, but if I ever do, I know where to find my prototype.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! If I was to do it again, I would make it smaller. I made it before I got our wheelbarrow, and it's too big to rest comfortably on it and it's just a little to big for me to easily pick it up with debris on it. But it has really been helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just FYI, my "weed barrier" didn't work all that great in my front shrub beds. Keep an eye on it for signs of ivy & make sure you clip them before they get too eager to climb! EEK!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good work, Angela. I can sympathize. We have only lived here for 2 years and it is still a bit of an archaeological dig every time we start something new. Lots of bricks, rocks, and junk! I admire your perseverance. :-)

    ReplyDelete