Pages

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Celebrations!

Happy Earth Day and Happy 100th Post. I waited to post again today just so the two would coincide :) I can't believe it's 100 already, but it is, so yeah!



I wish I had something more substantial to post about on this day, but life has been fairly bland this week and my brain is just coasting. No deep insight into the world or anything.

I will share with you, however, what I did at my place of employment yesterday. It was the day of our monthly Safety Meeting, and I think I mentioned before that I was working on a presentation to go along with that. It was all about going green at work and at home and was full of simple and easy thing you can do to go green that not only help the environment but also improve health, pad the bank account and improve the quality of life for future generations. Woohoo.

If anyone is interested in looking at the powerpoint, please let me know and I can get it to you.

Along with this, I am implementing weekly "Go Green" tips. Today's tip is about composting. I put buckets in each of our kitchens and will be asking at least to put coffee grounds and filters in there as a starting point. I was going to go all the way and ask for food scraps, but I was counseled that it might gross people out. So we're starting with coffee grounds. I have a used Folgers can at my desk for food scraps, etc. and will be using that. I'm soon going to be up to my eyeballs in compostable material. I may have to invest in red worms just to keep up with it all!

A lot of talk is going around about Earth Day being bad and people having anti-Earth Day campaigns. The basic premise is that every day should be like Earth Day, there shouldn't be a holiday. I completely agree with that. But, not everyone is as enlightened as the rest of us. Earth Day is still necessary because it gives those of us who do have the knowledge of living lightly on the Earth the opportunity to pass it along to a more receptive audience. Hopefully, a few more people will have the CFLs in their heads switched on and realize what's going on in the world because they participated in some sort of Earth Day event or read an article.

I love my husband very much and he loves me. We tell each other this every day. But, we still like to do something special on Valentine's Day. It's a Hallmark Holiday, I know, but it is a holiday and it is an opportunity for us to take a step back and appreciate each other.

So, on this Earth Day, even if you already celebrate it every day, take a step back and really appreciate what an awesome planet we live on.

No comments:

Post a Comment